The Harghita Sanmartin district is located in the central part of Harghita County in Romania. It covers an area of 631 km², making it one of the largest administrative districts in Romania. The district is bordered by the Mureş County to the south, the Covasna County to the east and the Odorheiu Secuiesc district to the north. The district includes five towns and 40 villages. The largest town is Sanmartin which is the administrative center of the district. The other four towns include Cristuru Secuiesc, Gălbinaş, Sancraiu de Mureş, and Remetea. The area is renowned for its natural beauty, especially its mountainous forests and nearby natural reserves. The district is home to a number of agricultural and dairy farms, as well as numerous traditional industries, including woodworking and woodcarving. The region is also known for its mineral springs, of which the most well-known are the Borsec and Sfântu Gheorghe resorts.
Harghita Sanmartin district is a district located in the Eastern part of Romania, in the Harghita County. The main towns in it are Sanmartin, Bălan, Borsec and Izvoru Mureșului. It covers an area of 1020 km² and its population is around 43,000. The district has a rich cultural heritage, with many traditional churches and wooden architectures, as well as natural attractions including the Borsec spa resort, Bicaz Gorge and Lake Bicaz. It also hosts numerous festivals and events throughout the year.
The best way to get to Harghita Sănămărtin is by car. The easiest route is to take the E81 road from Cluj-Napoca. It is a two-hour drive and will take you directly to the district. There are also trains and buses that can take you there, but they may take a longer time.
Harghita Sanmartin district is located in the Transylvania region of Romania. It is a rural district known for its unique culture and many historical sites. Here are a few of the most popular places to visit:
1. Corund Fortified Church – this historic church was built in the 13th century by members of the Saxon ethnicity who lived in the region. It is a popular tourist attraction and features a fascinating blend of Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque architecture.
2. Madaras Castle – this medieval fortress, constructed by King Stephen in the 14th century, stands as a testament to the history and culture of the region. Still intact today, it is one of the best preserved castles in Romania and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
3. Miercurea Ciuc Fortress – an almost 200-year-old site, this fortress was part of a system of defense against the Ottoman invasion of Transylvania. It was heavily damaged during the Second World War, but is still an impressive landmark with interesting architecture and breathtaking views of the Carpathians.
4. Saschiz Ruins – These ruins are located near the village of Saschiz and are thought to be the remains of three medieval fortifications. They are a popular destination for history buffs interested in the region’s past.
5. Sfantu Gheorghe Monastery – Located in the village of Sfantu Gheorghe, this beautiful monastery dates back to the 14th century and has been expertly preserved over the years. The monastery features a lovely garden, several old churches and chapels, and an impressive bell tower.
1. Bardos Castle
2. Salangatuminary Hiking Trail
3. Firtus Plateau
4. Zanoaga Waterfall
5. Ciucin Fortress
6. Harghita Madaras Adventure Park
7. Sovata Lake
8. Red Lake (Lacu Rosu)
9. Lapos Cultural Center
10. Gyergyoszarhegy Lookout Tower
Harghita Sanmartin District offers a wide variety of activities and attractions to visitors. Nature enthusiasts can go on hikes in the hills and enjoy the spectacular views of the area. Visitors can also take advantage of a range of outdoor activities like canoeing, kayaking, fishing, horseback riding and mountain biking.
Other activities in this area include visiting the local thermal springs, attending traditional cultural events, listening to folk music, watching folk performances and even participating in folk sports like bushcraft, archery and crossbow. Tourists can also go skiing in the mountainous area and visit ski resorts like Ciucas and Strat in the Piatra Secuiului Mountains.
There are also plenty of leisure and sightseeing opportunities in the form of medieval castles, churches and historical sites from the surrounding area, such as the Szechereny Fortress, the Fortified Church in Corund and the Royal Castle of Apafi. Guided tours to local vineyards and tasting sessions are also a popular draw for travelers to this region.